Article about the blockchain and Bitcoin scaling.

Jayce

That's a good blog. Real scaling, share it around the forum. I admit that I was expecting something stupid, like "bigger blocks". Haha.

Cole

That's a good blog. Real scaling, share it around the forum. I admit that I was expecting something stupid, like "bigger blocks". Haha.
hahaha, the endless block size issue, still debated even after SEGWIT fixed it.. true

Ivan

op,

Stupid Medium corporation expects me to sign up and pay for premium membershit, I won't do that unless they accept bitcoin, and forget about KYC. It is not the case for now, so, copy/paste the text here please.

Maxwell

It's nice to see FIBRE & Compact Blocks which are rarely discussed. But they should mention upcoming improvement such as Schnorr, Taproot & Minisketch.
hahaha, the endless block size issue, still debated even after SEGWIT fixed it.. true
And it'll be discussed again if Bitcoin usage increased significantly to the point where current block size isn't even enough to accommodate all transaction to open & close LN channel.
op,

Stupid Medium corporation expects me to sign up and pay for premium membershit, I won't do that unless they accept bitcoin, and forget about KYC. It is not the case for now, so, copy/paste the text here please.
While they don't accept BTC, they don't require KYC or any forms of identity requirement. Besides, there are many ways to bypass it easily.

Camden

Op.

Forget about my previous post, I used another device to fool Medium a bit more
Cheesy

Now, back to the article:
I do agree it has some educational material but I can't see anything new or important mentioned in this article. The author, puts a little bit more than adequate emphasis on relay network optimization role in scaling. Although he is right about 2nd layer protocols (like LN) not being an ultimate solution for scaling, like most authors in the field, he has no clue about what an on-chain scaling solution would look like. He is absolutely wrong. as i said. when he reduces the problem to relay network and bandwidth optimization.

P.S.
@ETFbitcoin: The way I understand it, credit card payments are a form of KYC. I don't and won't use such a payment device, never ever.

Uriah

It's still debatable if it was fixed by Segwit, or if even if it needed fixing in my opinion. Segwit wasn't a "scalability fix", it was a malleability fix.
Op.

Forget about my previous post, I used another device to fool Medium a bit more
Cheesy

Now, back to the article:
I do agree it has some educational material but I can't see anything new or important mentioned in this article. The author, puts a little bit more than adequate emphasis on relay network optimization role in scaling. Although he is right about 2nd layer protocols (like LN) not being an ultimate solution for scaling, like most authors in the field, he has no clue about what an on-chain scaling solution would look like. He is absolutely wrong. as i said. when he reduces the problem to relay network and bandwidth optimization.
What would an on-chain scaling solution, that doesn't centralize the network, look like? Sharding? Where's the Github link, where's the testnet?

Kingston

What would an on-chain scaling solution, that doesn't centralize the network, look like? Sharding? Where's the Github link, where's the testnet?
https://medium.com/@jeeyoungk/how-sharding-works-b4dec46b3f6

Maybe you should read what sharding really is.

As it separates the data among multiple machines, (1 pc does not store the entire database.)
and then ask yourself how many machines are you willing to donate to be a non-mining / non-fiat earning nodes.
Cheesy

True Onchain Scaling can only occur onchain, anything else like LN is offloading not scaling.

The whole point is increased TPS, so onchain scaling has to increase TPS capacity onchain.
To increase this you must cram more Transactions Per Second into the available vehicle, which are called blocks.
So your only true options are
1. Increase Block Size
2. Faster Blockspeed, which means more blocks in given time
3. Increased Compression of TPS , so more TPS fit inside a Block

You can do 1 or a combination , as each increase true onchain scaling by adding more TPS.

All of the rest offchain , only offloads TPS to another service, but does not actually increase the true onchain capacity.
Offloading only removes some needs for increased onchain scaling, but it is a temporary band-aid and won't fix anything in the long run.
Offloading itself will fail, once the onchain TPS is Maxed out or priced out of utility.
Tongue

Dennis

@ETFbitcoin: The way I understand it, credit card payments are a form of KYC. I don't and won't use such a payment device, never ever.
Makes sense, even though you could borrow one from trusted friend/family or uses disposable/preload debit card (which usually which can be obtained anonymously, but with low balance).
https://medium.com/@jeeyoungk/how-sharding-works-b4dec46b3f6

Maybe you should read what sharding really is.

As it separates the data among multiple machines, (1 pc does not store the entire database.)
and then ask yourself how many machines are you willing to donate to be a non-mining / non-fiat earning nodes.
Cheesy
Most sharding idea i've seen still require node which store all shards, which make sharding nodes feel useless IMO.
Besides, people who don't want run full node most likely won't run sharding node, they'll choose light/SPV node.