Coindesk & Cointelegraph give Fake News

Maxwell

This is worrying because investors need good information and 2 leading crypto websites aren't delivering. I guess they don't have any journalists. They receive press releases, they send them to a guy in Asia (they probably found him on Fiverr?) to rewrite it somehow, and they publish it without understanding anything.

This is exactly what they did in the following 2 articles:

https://www.coindesk.com/crypto-traders-who-lost-big-in-poloniex-flash-crash-receive-bitcoin-refunds

https://cointelegraph.com/news/poloniex-will-reimburse-135-million-loss-from-clams-flash-crash

I'm a victim here. I've lost more than one BTC in this 1,800 BTC affair, which I explain in this topic.

Coindesk and Cointelegraph are both saying I will get my money back, but I won't, nor will anyone. It's 100% fake news, and Poloniex knows it very well. That's his plan.

What Poloniex has been announcing is that to all people who have had their money stolen, Poloniex offers all trading fees. That sounds like a nice gesture, except that trading fees for a maker is 0.15% at this exchange. As anyone can imagine, to get 1,800 BTC back from a 0.15% fee, that will take a lot of trading... And actually, no trading will happen. Because, as everybody affected, when I discovered that my coins were gone, I quickly withdrew what was left of it. Hey, when you see that your coins disappear, you don't leave them at an exchange you cannot trust!

So Poloniex won't have anything to pay, and that's what Coindesk and Cointelegraph should have they have said, if they had understood anything about the issue, or if they had any will to give good information to their readers.

Kellan

This is not the first time I've met people who lose money due to crypto media publications. It annoys me especially when FUD is published, and I also hate bitcoin predictions. Many people believe this without even suspecting that this is a lie or unverified information.
Angry
Angry
Angry

Mathew

Fortunately, I'm not a victim of misinformation myself, but I've created this topic so that people won't become victims. Those 2 articles give a white hat to Poloniex, it certainly doesn't deserve it.

Now, I'm not familiar with Coindesk or Cointelegraph, but I certainly won't become one of their readers, now that I've seen that they're publishing fale news.

Gustavo

I have long noticed that both resources often provide unreliable news. That's why I don't trust them.

Mauricio

I would not call this game news. If you are trading using their platform, you will be credited back anything you pay in trading fees towards what you lost. If you are not trading, you would not receive credit for fees you are not paying.

The blog pose also said they are exploring other ways to potentially reimburse lenders for *the lenders’* losses.

There is obviously counterparty risk when margin lending. Otherwise exchanges would use customer deposits to fund these loans.

Isaias

I would not call this game news. If you are trading using their platform, you will be credited back anything you pay in trading fees towards what you lost.
You must do the maths here. I would have to make more than 10,000 BTC worth of trades to regain what Poloniex stole from me, so it's not gonna work (and some other guys have lost 40 times more than me). The redactors at Coindesk and Cointelegraph should have seen it if they were professionals.

Ayaan

Coindesk are owned by Digital Currency Group. Cointelegraph is supposedly owned by the people behind Bytecoin/Freewallet/Changelly and others.

That means neither are our buddies and they're not going to publish anything that goes against their interests.

I know for me at least this is the first time I'm deeply versed in a subject that's regularly reported by the media so I know most of the stuff they spout is vapid junk and sometimes outright misleading. I hope it's better on other subjects but I'm not holding me breath.

Izaiah

Coindesk are owned by Digital Currency Group. Cointelegraph is supposedly owned by the people behind Bytecoin/Freewallet/Changelly and others.

That means neither are our buddies and they're not going to publish anything that goes against their interests.

I know for me at least this is the first time I'm deeply versed in a subject that's regularly reported by the media so I know most of the stuff they spout is vapid junk and sometimes outright misleading. I hope it's better on other subjects but I'm not holding me breath.
I do not want to somehow justify these 2 editions,but it seems to me that in addition to them there are also many publications that can lead to human error.The whole Internet is trying to mislead everyone.And nothing strashnogo_Our task is to filter and analyze the content to avoid mistakes.