Electricity backup for antminer's

Jacob

Hello everyone i just bought two antminer s7's. Where i live, i have to pay very less for electricity. But the problem is the electricity uptime is very poor here, i face 5 to 6 power cuts a day with around 40 minute to 1:30 hours. I want to ask what kind of backup power should i use. i am thinking about getting a 3kva inverter. Please suggest me other options.

Ignacio

Inverter is not a power source, it is just an inverter. I guess you meant solar panel and inverter?
That is way too expensive and no guarantee that the sun will be "working" when there is no power.

I advise you to just enjoy when you have that free electricity and "suck up" the no electricity periods as cost of doing business there.

If you can get free gasoline too you can get 3-4KW generator, but I wouldn't.
Wink

Aayan

Inverter is not a power source, it is just an inverter. I guess you meant solar panel and inverter?
That is way too expensive and no guarantee that the sun will be "working" when there is no power.

I advise you to just enjoy when you have that free electricity and "suck up" the no electricity periods as cost of doing business there.

If you can get free gasoline too you can get 3-4KW generator, but I wouldn't.
Wink
Agreed, fueled generators are almost going certainly going to cost you more than it is worth to keep them running. You need a battery backup/inverter system to charge while power is up and discharge when it goes out.

Lithium Ion batteries are the only real option, I did a lot of research into viability of battery backup and it is unlikely to be worth it.

10kWh battery = ~$3000usd (I've seen some cheaper on alibaba)
Inverter = ~$600usd

Backup power (2 s7's @ 1250W ea)= ~3 hrs

Keep in mind they take time to charge up, if you're suffering clusters of outages (I would assume so, during peak usage periods) they're usefulness will be decreased even more.

Mustafa

Hello everyone i just bought two antminer s7's. Where i live, i have to pay very less for electricity. But the problem is the electricity uptime is very poor here, i face 5 to 6 power cuts a day with around 40 minute to 1:30 hours. I want to ask what kind of backup power should i use. i am thinking about getting a 3kva inverter. Please suggest me other options.
Chances are you will be better off looking for a hosting center vs something that can power 2 S7's for up to 1.5 hours a day. Your just talking about a lot of watt's and a long amount of time.

If you look at battery backups I think you will see cost of one that is capable of this just will not pay off. It just will not make sense financially buying a system capable of doing what your looking for. Also what country are you in? Just curious with losing power so much.

Dhruv

just go door to door at your local warehouses and see if anyone is replacing their forklift batteries anytime soon.

offer a bit more than scrap value, or less but arrange pickup (or disposal)

most employees are just happy they dont gotta operate the machinery to replace or remove these units and they are decent at holding a charge for home or modest industrial backup purposes.

Jesiah

just go door to door at your local warehouses and see if anyone is replacing their forklift batteries anytime soon.

most employees are just happy they dont gotta operate the machinery to replace or remove these units and they are decent at holding a charge for home or modest industrial backup purposes.
Thats a good shout, I would probably buy an old APC UPS off eBay that has got dead batteries, then wire up the UPS to the old industrial batteries and let it do the work.

It will then kick in when the power fails and automatically recharge when it goes back on again.

Mustafa

Thats a good shout, I would probably buy an old APC UPS off eBay that has got dead batteries, then wire up the UPS to the old industrial batteries and let it do the work.

It will then kick in when the power fails and automatically recharge when it goes back on again.
I think it's going to be hard in most cases to get a UPS/Used battery combo for a decent price. Keep in mind were talking running up 2800 or so watts for 40 minute to 1:30 hours. So that is a good amount of energy that needs stored.

So good idea looking for lower cost solutions. But I still think you will pay more then what you make over that 40 minute to 1:30 hour per day. Just a lot of cost for not a ton of pay I'm guessing in almost all cases.

Howard

easy answer is apc ups but you need the big boy with 2200 va, the SMT2200I should be ok

it has a pure sinusoidal wave with lcd, can sustain 2kw for 30 min

Calvin

There is no use in using a battery backup for loads like miners.

According to APC.com you would need:

APC Smart-UPS SRT 5000VA 208V + (4)SRT192BP Battery Unit (calculated runtime @ 2800W is 126min)

So you would need $4,000 + 4x($1,000) or basically $8,000 worth of APC UPS gear to "do it right".

Also, with that many regular power outages plan on replacing batteries often!

You can "homegrow" your own solution, but batteries will need constant replacement and the reality is UPS is just not worth it!