Encrypt a message using Bitcoin Public Key and decrypt with private key?Like PGP

Maddox

I was studying a little about PGP. I am a total newbie at it.

But there are so many similarities to PGP and Bitcoin. Is it possible to encrypt a message using my public key, and decrypt it using my private key? Like PGP does. It would be something very nice to do, as Bitcoin clients are much more common and widespread than PGP related software (also easier to use).

I would like to be able to encrypt my messages using bitcoin key pairs. It would be really useful.

Maybe in future Bitcoin signatures could even replace PGP signatures? Is there any discussion about this? Or is it technically impossible ? I searched but couldn't find any.

Marc

I was studying a little about PGP. I am a total newbie at it.

But there are so many similarities to PGP and Bitcoin. Is it possible to encrypt a message using my public key, and decrypt it using my private key? Like PGP does. It would be something very nice to do, as Bitcoin clients are much more common and widespread than PGP related software (also easier to use).

I would like to be able to encrypt my messages using bitcoin key pairs. It would be really useful.

Maybe in future Bitcoin signatures could even replace PGP signatures? Is there any discussion about this? Or is it technically impossible ? I searched but couldn't find any.
This will probably answer your question, in short it is possible, but not recommended as it encourages address reuse, could have privacy implications and could have interactions between protocols using the same key pairs.

https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/q...-using-a-bitcoin-public-key-and-use-its-priva

You might want to check out bitmessage for something similar to what you are asking if you wish to see how it could be implemented:
https://github.com/Bitmessage/PyBitmessage

Braydon

It's possible using Electrum's console.
But it's not necessary to use your private key for decryption.

If you want to try, let's just use this address' public key: 1HZwkjkeaoZfTSaJxDw6aKkxp45agDiEzN (leaked brainwallet address)
04a34b99f22c790c4e36b2b3c2c35a36db06226e41c692fc82b8b56ac1c540c5bd5b8dec5235a0f a8722476c7709c02559e3aa73aa03918ba2d492eea75abea235

Santos

It's possible using Electrum's console.
But it's not necessary to use your private key for decryption.
Thank you. I will try later.

But this way it is far less secure... it would be good to encrypt with public key and decrypt with the private key, like PGP.
This will probably answer your question, in short it is possible, but not recommended as it encourages address reuse, could have privacy implications and could have interactions between protocols using the same key pairs.
Thank you.
The person who answered said that using systems that were actually designed for encryption is better... he is right ofc, but maybe an upgrade in bitcoin protocol in the future?
It would be nice to see one day people using bitcoin protocol to encrypt messages, it could be easily done by users and would protect our privacy in our emails and other means of communication.

I don't see a problem with address re use here. You could use some addresses just for messaging, no big deal IMO.

Jovanni

This is not related to bitcoin protocol, this is a standard scheme used in Elliptic Curve Cryptography. Since the private/public key pairs used in bitcoin are EC key pairs, ECIES scheme could be used with them.