Segmentation?

Timofey

Bitcoin needs to significantly reduce blockchain bloat by having miners
generate new genesis blocks every once in a while- say every 1,000
blocks, about once a week.

A new genesis block needs to contain a 2nd coinbase tx that
consolidates all previous coinbase txs since the previous genesis
block and copies of all previously validated utxos that are changed
to reference the 2nd coinbase tx instead of previous tx outputs.

This would not require anyone to delete old transaction data but it
would permit it. It would segment the blockchain and end the endless
growth. With regular blocks limited to 1MB, each segment would be
limited to 1GB- small enough for any smart phone.

Hey, I'm not a programmer so, if anyone creates a new SHA256 coin
(not a token) based on this or something similar, please let me know!

Braden

Ahhh are you yet to find the prune option which means you only have to store a small amount of the chain (I think it's 4gb min or it used to be). This means you can sync transactions and keep the mempool avaliable but also allow for lara data you don't need to be deleted.

The last 100000 blocks also are the ones bloated the most. When we were in the early 500000s we were at about half the size we are now.

This might give more information if you're interested in running a pruned node: https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/37496/how-can-i-run-bitcoind-in-pruning-mode

Braden

Ahhh are you yet to find the prune option which means you only have to store a small amount of the chain (I think it's 4gb min or it used to be). This means you can sync transactions and keep the mempool avaliable but also allow for lara data you don't need to be deleted.
Pruning is good but not enough. Syncing transactions is a nightmare and what makes pruning almost useless.

Ayaan

I might be wrong but that sounds like you'd get a really huge checkpoint block every N blocks which would make an especially critical block especially likely to be orphaned.

Have you looked into MimbleWimble? It's cut-through approach for getting rid of blockchain bloat may be of interest to you:
https://github.com/mimblewimble/grin/blob/master/doc/intro.md
The smallest recommended prune setting is 550, ie. 550 blocks. So that's worst case maybe 2gb, assuming blocks full of the most bloated possible SegWit transactions. In practice that's currently probably closer to 0.4 - 0.7 gigs

Mathew

Personally i don't like the idea because Bitcoin would lost it's immutability property, since older transactions/blocks are gone.

IMO you better use SPV/light client wallet if you use smartphone.
I might be wrong but that sounds like you'd get a really huge checkpoint block every N blocks which would make an especially critical block especially likely to be orphaned.
I think it's called UTXO commitment and different compared with OP's idea since older transaction/block isn't permanently moved, but simply not downloaded.

Niko

A new genesis block needs to contain a 2nd coinbase tx that
consolidates all previous coinbase txs since the previous genesis
block and copies of all previously validated utxos that are changed
to reference the 2nd coinbase tx instead of previous tx outputs.

This would not require anyone to delete old transaction data but it
would permit it. It would segment the blockchain and end the endless
growth. With regular blocks limited to 1MB, each segment would be
limited to 1GB- small enough for any smart phone.

Hey, I'm not a programmer so, if anyone creates a new SHA256 coin
(not a token) based on this or something similar, please let me know!
And when you receive such a block, how can you tell if the transactions in the block are valid? What do you compare them to? If you receive multiple different new genesis blocks, how do you know which one is the right one?

Niko

Hey, I'm not a programmer so
Clearly. If you were, you'd have put a bit more thought into what the current blockchain concept actually accomplishes and how it accomplishes it before trying to replace it without knowing what you need to protect against.